How to identify wet rot
Being able to identify wet rot is not an exact science. The many different forms of wet rot can affect timber in different or similar ways. It can even be the case where it can be difficult to identify the difference between wet rot and the more serious dry rot if there is no visual dry rot fruiting body present. Certainly, a professional property survey will be able to clear any uncertainly. In the meantime however, the guide below should be able to help you initially identify the presence of wet rot.
We have compiled a series of pictures of wet rot to help you identify it in addition to the guide below.
Tell tale signs to identify wet rot
- Look out for largely black and usually localised fungus growing on timber.
- Timber affected by wet rot will feel soft and spongy (even through a coat of paint) and look darker than the surrounding timber.
- When dry, the timber will easily crack and crumble into fine particles. It can also be susceptible to shrinkage.
- Some types of wet rot cause the wood to bleach. This is common in doors and window frames.
- Look for damaged or flaky paint. If the paint finish is damaged, this can increase the risk of wet rot. If you suspect wet rot and the paint is not damaged, push a thin bladed knife into the painted timber. The blade should stop after a short distance. If it goes in up to the handle, it is almost certainly a sign of rot behind the paint.
- Often wet rot is associated with a damp musty smell.
Where there is no obvious mycelium present wet rot can generally be identified and differentiated from dry rot by the differing colour of the decayed timber as well as the size and type of cracking by the timber as the wet rot progresses.
If you have any of the described conditions above, specialist wet rot treatment will be required to inhibit this.
Further information regarding wet rot
For more information about wet rot, click to visit the following web pages. Alternative, contact us online for more information
Speak to a wet rot expert
If you want to speak to someone regarding a possible wet rot issue, call Wise Property Care on Tel: 0800 65 22 678 or click to find your local branch details.
Alternatively, post a question or contact us online using our online contact form.