How to identify woodworm:
Unsure if you have a woodworm infestation? That is understandable as you are unlikely to see the woodworm beetles never mind the woodworm larvae that bore through the timber. However, what you will be able to spot is the result of a woodworm infestation. If you do identify woodworm, our woodworm treatment web page is just a click away.
How do I identify a woodworm infestation
There are various tell tale signs that can help you identify woodworm and a potential woodworm infestation. They include:
- Small round exit holes in your woodwork, similar to the holes in a dart board.
- Fine, powdery dust around these holes (this is known as frass).
- Crumbly edges to boards and joists.
- Tunnels within the timber
- Weak and damaged timbers or flooring.
- Adult woodworm beetles emerging from hole within the timber.
- Dead beetles around a suspected woodworm infestation or on window sills
Even if you cannot see any holes, you might find frass (fine powdery dust) escaping from the back or underside of old furniture. Again this could suggest an active woodworm infestation. However, not all of these signs of activity are cause for concern. Holes and frass might just indicate a previous woodworm infestation, long since dormant. Certainly, if you are unsure, it is always advisable to consult a woodworm specialist. Please feel free to contact us at Wise Property Care for any help and advice. Alternatively, click to organise a professional woodworm property survey.
More information about woodworm
To find out more about woodworm, visit the following web pages:
Contact Wise Property Care for Woodworm Advice
If you want to speak to someone regarding a woodworm issue, contact Wise Property Care today on Tel: 0800 65 22 678 or click to find your local branch.
Alternatively, use our contact form and we will organise a one of our woodworm experts to call and speak to you.