Dampness on walls is a very common problem that can affect all types of properties. However, not all damp problems found on walls are the same, so the appropriate damp proofing for walls will differ from property to property.

Our guide below will give you a better understanding of various damp issues that affect walls. However, the best way to correctly diagnose a damp problem on your wall is to organise a damp survey from one of our expert surveyors who can offer expert advice on how to get rid of damp in your home.

Continue reading to learn more about about what causes damp patches on the internal walls and external walls of your property.

If you want professional help straight away, call us today or contact us online by clicking the button below.


Different damp problems will display different tell-tale signs. The five types of damp problem below are the most common damp causes of wet walls in your property.

Rising Damp


Rising damp is an issue that will only affect walls on the ground level of a property. You can generally tell if you have a rising damp issue by the typical “tide mark” often left on the wall above the skirting board on the internal walls. It is often associated with white hygroscopic salts which are drawn out of the brick work. Peeling wallpaper and a damp musty smell within the affected rooms are also a common sign of a rising damp issue.

On external walls you may also see tide marks and salts up to a meter off the ground where capillary action has drawn water up through the brickwork from the ground. If the damp proof course has been damaged or bridged this can also be noticed on the external wall.



Condensation is by far the most common form of damp on internal walls. Generally, condensation on walls is most evident when the condensation festers and allows black mould to germinate. You will generally notice this on outside facing walls where the wall is colder. Condensation and mould is common in the winter months particularly in bathrooms and kitchens.

The most common cause of condensation is poor ventilation.

Penetrating Damp


Penetrating damp is a damp issue that can affect walls at all levels of a property. It usually occurs when rain penetration gets through exterior walls and penetrates through to the inner walls.

You can generally tell if you have a penetrating damp issue by examining the outside of the property to look for defective water management systems such as broken guttering or pipes.

Defective pointing, a broken chimney and plumbing leaks can also cause penetrating damp.


Cavity wall insulation can be a great way to save energy but it is also a problem if it gets wet. Cracks in masonry and pebble dash, a broken gutter or a cracked downpipe can lead to water ingress into the cavity wall.

This build-up of excess moisture in the insulation can lead to damp patches appearing on the internal walls causing discolouration of plaster and paint.


Wise Property Care have a specialist division Wise Basement Systems with CSSW qualified surveyors ready to deal with the unique problems faced when waterproofing underground spaces.

Hydroscopic pressure from the surrounding earth can often lead to cracks in the masonry walls of basements and cellars and the solutions for this can range from tanking to damp proof membranes and drainage solutions.


The first step towards treating damp patches on walls is getting an experienced and qualified expert in to conduct a damp survey.

Every damp problem will have a different method of damp proofing to remedy it. Our trained and experienced team will thoroughly examine the affected area and any other part of the building that could be causing dampness on your walls.

After a thorough survey we will be able to let you know if its a simple case of needing extractor fans and some anti-mould paint or if something like a chemical DPC or damp proofing membrane is required.

Once the source of moisture has been identified and resolved our team will leave your property safe, dry and ready to re-plaster, paint or decorate however you desire. 


If you are worried about a damp problem within your walls and the cause of the damp is not obvious, it is always recommended to speak to a specialist.

A thorough damp survey of the problem by an experienced and qualified surveyor associated with the ‘Property Care Association (PCA)’ will generally get to the source of the issue.

To organise a property survey from a PCA approved specialist, you can call Wise Property Care today or contact us online via our online contact form below.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.