Burst water pipe
Do you have water damage from a burst water pipe? If so, this is classed as a water emergency because of the serious damp and water damage your property can suffer as a result.
Contact our damp experts
What to do if you have a burst water pipe
The following steps describe what you should do as soon as you discover a burst water pipe:
1. Turn off the water supply
- Turn off the main stop tap. This is often under the kitchen sink or where the service pipe enters your home.
- Drain the system.
- Turn on all your cold taps.
- If water is coming from the ceiling, catch the dripping water in a bucket.
- Punch a hole in the ceiling to let water out if it starts to bulge.
2. Turn off water heating systems
- Switch off the central heating, immersion heater and any other water heating systems.
- If the central heating uses solid fuel, let this die out.
- Once water heating has shut down, turn on the hot taps to help drain the system.
3. Turn off the electrics
- If the water has leaked near your electrics, switch off the mains immediately - if it is wet, DO NOT touch them! Electrical wiring with water damage can be very dangerous. Call a professional to repair the damage.
4. Check your floorboards and timber for water damage
- If water has been leaking for some time, your floors, timber beams or ceiling may be water damaged. Be careful, water damage can make floors unsafe to stand on. It may be an idea to organise a damp and timber specialist to conduct a property survey to check the timber for wet rot or dry rot issues. caused by the leak.
water damage? - contact the experts
For help or information regarding any water damage or damp problems that have occured due to a burst water pipe, contact Wise Property Care on 0800 65 22 678 or contact us online via our contact form.
Get in touch
WHY CHOOSE WISE PROPERTY CARE